Cleaning and scrubbing will wait ’till tomorrow, but children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs! Dust go to sleep! I’m rocking my baby. Babies don’t keep. – Ruth Hamilton

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Going Natural...My I've Changed

I have to say I was not raised all natural-meaning we lived like most people lived.  We bought our groceries at the grocery store and lived a "normal" life.  Although we didn't live off the food grown in our back yard, my parents always instilled me with healthy eating and loved to cook.  They have given that passion to me! 

Since being a parent my goal for my kids is to realize where food comes from-it's not about going to a store.  There is a real problem with the way we eat!  It's the food we put in our bodies.  I have done some things that make me happy as a parent and I love sharing it with others-like I started using cloth diapers, I only buy all natural peanut butter (meaning there is only peanuts and water included), my kids don't know what juice is...yet:), and I love growing our own food.  Unfortunately, the growing our own food isn't always the easiest for us. 

Luckily, I have found this program in Columbia!  It's called a bounty box.  It's a box you pick up weekly filled with fresh produce from local farmers.  I was so excited to give it a try.  This week there were; beets, collard greens, lettuce, green onions, tomatoes, strawberries, and popcorn.  Now what the heck was I going to do with beets?  That is what got me even more excited for this, I had to reach out of my comfort and explore with new fresh foods! 

Maybe you've heard of this before, but I hadn't and it makes me want to cook everything at once.  I am learning that it goes bad fast because there aren't any perservitives in it, but since it's weekly it works great.  Today we enjoyed the strawberries and tonight we are going to try grilling some lettuce!  The tomatoes will work great as a salad with some green onions and...I learned to put the beets in foil and bake them for an hour-when they cooled the skins came off and these huge delious beets appeared!  Who know?!?  Not me!  I hope to share some recipes we explore with.

Goals for going natural: Compost pile (the kids will love this), canning some of this food, and maybe chickens!  Ugg what has happened to me?  I used to spend my time much different.  Must be living in the country with three babies!


This is the box I pick up every Thursday!



     If anyone knows about canning let me know!  I will need to start doing that when we start getting food from our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment