Cleaning and scrubbing will wait ’till tomorrow, but children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs! Dust go to sleep! I’m rocking my baby. Babies don’t keep. – Ruth Hamilton

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Literacy

Because I have finally had time to stop and be with my kids, I have realized the lack of reading done in our house. I am a teacher and work in a classroom that cherishes books and reading all the time. My book collection is out of control as well as our collection at home. When I was a kid, I hated to read! My mom would do anything to get me to love reading. She and my dad read all the time in the evenings and would let me buy books whenever I wanted, but it never really set in with me.

Then in college I found my passion for reading. I haven't stopped since! I read adult books when I have time, but children's books really give me my drive for teaching. So with this being said-I couldn't believe my own children weren't spending more time reading. We always read before bedtime and naps and they are always looking through books at different times during the day, but I (or any adult) wasn't sitting down with them more frequently during the day and reading to them. This made me sad because we have amazing books scattered everywhere in our house. Since I have made more time for this, I am happy to see they really do care/have a passion/enjoy reading. Even my little Lincoln loves to hear my voice and look at the pictures!


If you haven't heard it enough...reading is so important to children!!!! I WISH I hadn't fought my parents so much about reading-there is so much I missed out on.  My hope is I can give my passion as an adult to them about books.

No comments:

Post a Comment