Cleaning and scrubbing will wait ’till tomorrow, but children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs! Dust go to sleep! I’m rocking my baby. Babies don’t keep. – Ruth Hamilton

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Acid Reflux

Lincoln is seven weeks tomorrow and has been growing like a weed.  I took him into the doctor on Friday after much debate about his eating and sleeping patterns.  When Avery was a baby she was put on medicine at 2 weeks old for acid reflux.  She would spit up like crazy and go through multiple burp clothes at one feeding.  It was painful for her and luckily my mom told me to ask the doctor about acid reflux.  The medicine helped right away with her and she was sleeping through the night at about 7 weeks old.  Then, I thought maybe Mack had it too, but now looking back and comparing him to Lincoln and Avery there is no way. 

Lincoln is a great baby!  He is so sweet and as time has gone on his time awake has been spent crying and screaming with his stomach cramped up.  I knew he was probably suffering like Avery, but was a little more reluctant to put him on medicine after talking to our doctor-he wasn't as willing to start medicine at such a young age.

I had a few minutes to talk to one of my best friends who is going through the same thing (it's nice to have someone understand this).  She had taken her daughter in and started medicine-this kind of gave me the will to call our doctor.  Our wonderful nurse said if it has gotten to the point of interfering with his sleep, (yep he was waking up every two hours to nurse because it was soothing him) his play (yep, he couldn't enjoy any time on his back because it was burning him) and our everyday life (yep, poor guy couldn't go into his car seat for too long either).  So I knew it was the right thing to do!

At the doctor he weighed in at 11 LBS!  I guess eating every two hours caused that.  Our doctor asked about what was happening and agreed it was time to try some zantac.  I gave it to him and that day he took a two hour nap!

I was beginning to feel really overwhelmed.  After every feeding (even at night) we had to hold him up for 30 minutes or longer to make sure his food was settled (we still do this).  So, by the time I got him down I would only get about an hour and a half of sleep. With only getting a few hours of sleep every night I wasn't sure how we were going to survive and go back to work. 

Last night he slept from 8:30 until 1:30 and then until 6:00-I couldn't be happier.  It really is making a difference. Poor little man was in pain!  
  With a happier baby and some sleep we can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment