Cleaning and scrubbing will wait ’till tomorrow, but children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs! Dust go to sleep! I’m rocking my baby. Babies don’t keep. – Ruth Hamilton

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Paper, Writing...It Never Stops!

My passion is literacy education.  My masters degree has an emphasis in literacy.  I cherish children's writing and the process young children take to evolve into writers...

I guess if you came to our house you would see how my passion has carried over.  This isn't the best for an OCD cleaner, but it makes my heart so happy!  I will take the mess any day if my kids find the beauty in writing and creating stories.
Growing up I would make books like crazy, but a lot of my creativity was crushed by my third grade teacher.  I still remember that year and the fear I developed to read out loud.  Now I kick my self for missing out on all those years of reading.  Reading and writing go hand in hand.  I can tell children who come from families that cherish reading.  Their stories are full of beautiful language and they love to write stories. 
We read a lot!  I was told I wouldn't sit still to read when I was younger.  I thought this was going to be Lincoln...

I was so wrong.  He absolutely loves to sit in our laps and listen to books.  He points to the pictures and (in Lincoln language) asks questions.

It can take us a long time to get through books because we have embraced all the questions about books.  They will touch and feel and wonder about the stories we read.  They now ask amazing questions-another aspect I love about kids.  Yesterday, Avery was wondering how we got water and how water got to a water tower.  That is one example of many.  My hope is Mark and I foster this.  My hope is we NEVER let a mean Ms. Cavert into our child's lives.  Because right now our house is full of little people questioning the world!
There may be paper, markers, crayons, color pencils, and journals all over our house, but it will be like this as long as they love it.







For Christmas I have found an old school desk I'm going to fix up and fill a basket FULL of any writing material you can think of!  I can't wait!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment