Cleaning and scrubbing will wait ’till tomorrow, but children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs! Dust go to sleep! I’m rocking my baby. Babies don’t keep. – Ruth Hamilton

Sunday, July 22, 2012

What's Happening In Our Kitchen?

This week I began to get overwhelmed with our produce! Not only are we collecting from our garden, we are also getting our weekly box. I don't want any of it to go to waste so I have been exploring with new recipes and learning how to freeze it.

During the day I am too busy to do ANYTHING-even with our nanny! So the other night I just felt like having some wine and making some pickles...that turned into 5 jars of pickles and blanching tomatoes to freeze. I texted my friend about what I was doing because it's our joke that she would be the one doing stuff like this-not me!
I experimented with all kinds of pickles!  They should be ready at the end of August.
I hope these will work (I saw it on YouTube:))
I received these funny things last week and let them go to waste.  My mom had looked them up and found a yummy recipe for them, but it was too late.  This week they were there again.  They are Patty Pan Squash.  The recipe that came with them was the same my mom had found, so I tried it tonight to go along with our BLT's.
First you boil them for about 10 minutes...with the cover on.

Then when they are tender you cut the tops off and take out the insides.
  

I sauteed that with some onion, garlic, and olive oil.  After that mixture was cooked I added bread crumbs, cheese, salt and pepper, dill and basil (you can add whatever herbs you want).

Then put the mixture back in the squash and baked them for about 15 minutes.  They were really good!

It does start to get overwhelming, but I have learned to freeze all our zucchini so hopefully we will have fresh veggies this winter!

Can't wait to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment